Scott E. Wonder uses his thorough knowledge of forensic science principles and zealous advocacy to aggressively defend drivers charged with DUI, DWI, BUI and drug related criminal and traffic offences throughout Washington State.
Areas of Practice:
Aggressively defending the rights of those arrested and charged with driving while under the influence of alcohol, whether under a .08 or above a .08 BAC
– Defense of individuals charged with driving while under the influence of prescription and illegal drugs.
– Boating while under the influence charges, other criminal and traffic offences throughout Washington state
Scott was the first attorney in Washington to have a judge rule that the 2004 amendments to Washington’s DUI evidence statutes were unconstitutional. He then prevailed in a series of Department of Licensing (DOL) Superior Court appeals challenging the DOL’s foundation for admission and use of breath test and blood test evidence. Presently, Scott is working with a group of DUI defense attorneys attacking breath and blood testing results in Washington on scientific validity grounds due to the State’s failure to perform uncertainty testing on breath and blood test results.
National & WA State Advanced Level DUI / DWI Defense Instruction & Education:
– WA State Delegate (2008 – 2011), Sustaining member (2005 – 2011), Work Shop Co-Leader (2006 – 2011), & Graduate (1999 – 2011) at the National College for DUI Defense Annual Summer Session presented at Harvard Law School
– Washington State Criminal Defense Lawyers and Washington Public Defender Training continuing legal education presentations focused on high level DUI education for lawyers (2004 – 2011)
– Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Association Mastering Scientific Evidence Seminar mock trial presentation in 2004
– Oh io Association of Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Advanced DUI seminar presentations in 2006, 2008 & 2011
– Certified, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Standardized Field Sobriety Testing, Student Course, 2002, and Instructor Course, 2010
– Certified, NHTSA, Drug Evaluation and Classification Overview Course (DRE), 2008
– Scott is one of the few attorneys in Washington who owns a BAC Datamaster®, the same breath test machine used throughout Washington State, a pair of Alcosensor IIIs and an Alcosensor FST (the portable breath test machines used in Washington). Scott has also had training on the EC/IR, the Intoxilizer, and the Dräger (Draeger in the US) breath test machines. The Dräger breath test machine is currently undergoing testing in Washington State to replace the BAC Datamaster®
– Mastering Scientific Evidence Seminar (Dallas, TX and New Orleans, LA), 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 & 2003.
– DWI Means Defend With Integrity Seminar, National College for DUI Defense and National Association for Criminal Defense Lawyers (Las Vegas, NV), 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001.
– Arizona Attorneys for Criminal Justice Advanced DUI Defense Seminars: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009.
– Datamaster Training (Theory of Science of Evidential Breath Alcohol Testing), National Patent Analytical Systems, Mansfield, OH (of Washington’s breath test machine manufacturer), 2005, 2007 & 2009.
– Individuals cited with operating a motor vehicle or boat in Washington state while impaired
– CDL license holders, commercial airline pilots, aviation licenses, Marine vessel captains, railroad conductors and other regulated professions, for whom an unblemished driving record is imperative.
– In addition, technology executives, exotic car club members, out-of-state sports figures and the clients of several major Seattle law firms call on Scott for his criminal and DUI defense skills.
– J.D., with honors, 1984, University of Washington School of Law.
– M.B.A., with honors, 1984, University of Washington School of Business.
– B.A., cum laude, 1980, Claremont Men’s College (now Claremont McKenna College).