Richard Milone began his career as a policyholders’ insurance recovery attorney in 1991 as part of a large team of lawyers litigating environmental and toxic tort insurance coverage disputes, and was trained by the top pioneers in the field. Since then he has represented policyholders in trials, appeals, arbitrations, and negotiations involving a wide array of business liabilities and losses, including directors’ and officers’ liability, false advertising, asbestos and other toxic torts, event cancellation, cyber liability, False Claims Act, hazardous nuclear waste, and many others.
In addition to his insurance recovery practice, Mr. Milone has unique and broad experience including service as General Counsel for the United States operations of a German-owned restaurant chain, managing an intellectual property holding company, and serving as Chair of the D.C. Litigation Department of a major New York based law firm. In that capacity Mr. Milone successfully litigated matters involving antitrust, false advertising, defamation, breach of contract, personal injury, and many others.
Mr. Milone is the Vice Chair of the Great Falls Lacrosse Association, and has coached youth lacrosse for over ten years.
He grew up in the New York area, and lives in Great Falls, Virginia with his wife and three sons.
- Georgetown University, J.D. cum laude, 1990
- University of Notre Dame, BA, 1987
- Jones Day, 2015-2019, Partner
- Kelley Drye LLP, 2007-2015, Partner
- Gilbert Heintz & Randolph LLP, 2001-2007, Founding Partner
- Howrey LLP, 1991-2000, Associate (7 years) and Partner (2 years)
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers in American (2018-2022)
- Chambers USA – leading practitioner, insurance: policy holder (2012-2022)
- Washington DC Super Lawyers (2012-2022)
- BTI Consulting Group’s “Client Service All Star” (2011)
- Named a “Knight of the Enterprise” by LyondellBasell Chemical Company, an honor given to trial counsel who achieve outstanding results on behalf of the company (2008)
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Second, Fourth, and Seventh Circuits
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, and Eastern District of Texas
- Law Clerk to Judge John T. Nixon, U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee (1990-1991)
The Milone Law Firm specializes in resolving complex insurance claims of all kinds on behalf of policyholders throughout the United States. The Firm’s principal, Richard D. Milone, has over 30 years of experience litigating and resolving insurance claims, most recently as a partner in one of the best known law firms in the country. He has helped clients secure hundreds of millions of dollars in disputed insurance proceeds, both through court victories and out of court settlements. The Firm represents exclusively policyholders, never insurance companies.
Mr. Milone is consistently recognized by his peers as an elite policyholder lawyer. In 2022, he became a fellow in the American College of Coverage Counsel, an honor given to the very top insurance lawyers in the country. He has been ranked for eleven consecutive years in Chambers, eleven consecutive years in DC Super Lawyers, and for five consecutive years in Best Lawyers in America, all based on peer and client recommendations. In 2021, Chambers published the following client commentary on Mr. Milone’s work: He is very thorough and thoughtful while maintaining efficiency. He is very commercially focused and a leader in the field. He is a great listener and team player. I love his logical approach to tough situations.
The Firm’s clients range from small businesses to Fortune 50 companies, plus corporate directors and C-Level officers, professional athletes, political campaigns, non-profits, and trade associations.
The Milone Law Firm was formed to offer clients top quality, experienced representation in complex matters, at rate structures substantially lower than major law firms, and where appropriate, under flexible alternative fee structures. Mr. Milone is admitted in the District of Columbia and New York, and co-counsels with attorneys throughout the United States when appropriate.